· How do we evaluate the Crusaders with respect to their influence on the church, on western civilization and society?
· What influences did the new monastic orders produce in the church?
· What were the methods used by scholasticism? How much contributions did they make on today’s theology?
· How does Gothic architecture reflect the glories of Christianity?
· What were the causes of the Babylonian Captivity and the Great Schism? What lessons can we learn from these unfortunate events?
· What were the main teachings of Wycliffe, Huss, and Savonarola? Were they judged (as heretics) correctly by the church?
· Can the ideas of Christian mysticism help to improve our own personal devotion?
· What lessons can we learn from popular movements before the Reformation, including the Lollards, monasticism among women, fragellants, and the Bohm rebellion?
· What is your reaction to the subtle arguments of late scholasticism?
· What are the differences between the humanism of the Renaissance and those of today?
· What were the sins of the popes during the Renaissance? How can true Christians become so corrupted?
PART IV: THE BEGINNINGS OF COLONIAL CHRISTIANITY
How did the Spanish treat the native Indians? How did the monks sent to
Was Matteo Ricci’s method of evangelism in
· What should our attitude be toward Confucianism (is it a religion?) and ancestral worship (is it idolatry?)?
· How should missionaries balance the need of evangelization and upholding social justice in the mission field? How much accommodation to the local culture can be accepted?
· Were the decisions of the councils correct decisions? Were they following the will of God? If not, how can the united universal church make wrong decision(s)?